The Dalles-Camas Cowboys are an American football team based out of The Dalles, Oregon (near Portland) and play in the Northwest Football Conference of the North Central Section of the National Junior College Athletic Association classification. In its first season, the team played at the former Dalles Senior High School located near the center of town along Interstate 84. The Cowboys played their home games at Goss Stadium (formerly known as Dalles-Cammus Field), which was built in 1951 and renovated in 1999. The stadium holds 4500 people and was named after the nearby community of Cammus.
Dalles-Camas is a city and county seat of Wasco County, Oregon, United States. The population was 13,895 at the 2010 census. The city is situated on the east bank of the Columbia River across from the larger city of Goldendale, Washington. The Dalles-Coumas economy is driven primarily by agriculture, logging, river transportation, tourism, and government services.

name Dalles comes from the French word for rapids; the original Native American inhabitants called them “La Chasse”, meaning “the chase”. The Spanish added the “-as” ending, making the name Dallaseo – “rapids”. A post office was established here in 1878. The area around the Dalles was once covered by glaciers, leaving behind moraines and lakes.
The term “Cowboy” came about because the citizens of the region were cowboys, especially those that worked in the timber industry.
Historical Facts:
In 1890, the Dalles was incorporated as a railroad town. The town became a stopover for passengers traveling between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington.
A few years later, the town became a shipping point for coal mined in Eastern Washington. Coal traffic increased greatly in the late 1890s and early 1900s.
By 1912, the mining traffic had dropped considerably, and the area’s economy shifted towards lumber production.
However, the decline in timber led to economic problems for the town, and in 1914, the Oregon Electric Railway abandoned service to the town. Many of the houses and businesses in downtown were then condemned.
World War I, the local paper mill was converted to manufacturing munitions. This work continued until 1919, when operations moved back to the mill. The mill finally closed permanently in 1924.
After the war, the town began to boom again. New businesses opened, and many old buildings were restored. The population grew from 500 in 1920 to over 2000 in 1930.
Great Depression caused a huge drop in business, however. By 1940, only 250 residents remained.
Today, the downtown area consists of four blocks–Main Street, Water Street, Second Avenue, and Third Avenue. There are several restaurants, shops, antique stores, art galleries, and a movie theater. The city hosts two annual festivals each summer.
The Dalles has long been a popular tourist destination. Visitors enjoy hiking and biking trails in the surrounding forests, visiting museums, taking horseback rides, and camping. Fishing and rafting are popular activities, while boating and swimming are possible on both sides of the Columbia River.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arabic Arabic Bulgarian Bulgarian Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Croatian Croatian Czech Czech Danish Danish Dutch Dutch English English French French German German Hindi Hindi Italian Italian Japanese Japanese Korean Korean Portuguese Portuguese Russian Russian Spanish Spanish